Newark embraced the automobile early. In 1907, the earliest automobile trade association in New Jersey, the Newark Automobile Trade Association was organized. That organization prospered through the promotion of an annual automobile show, which was held for many years in the 1st Regiment Armory at Sussex Avenue and Jay Street in Newark. The first automobile show was held in 1908. The popularity and success of those early shows led to annual automobile shows being held, until the beginning of World War II.
Another early arrival in Newark was the AAA. The AAA was founded in Chicago in 1902 when nine automobile clubs merged. The Automobile Club of New Jersey was one of those nine. The AAA had its headquarters on High Street(MLK Blvd.) where NJIT’s Fenster Hall now stands.