In 1905 Fred Tschirner and William A. Long founded the Clifton Art Pottery in Newark, NJ. Initially, they produced pottery in the Arts and Crafts style. Vases, teapots and the like. In 1906 they introduced Indian ware which was based on Native American designs. In 1911 they switched their production to wall and floor tile. They changed the company name and the Clifton Art Pottery was no more.