The Market Street Station of the Pennsylvania Railroad was the quintessential Victorian train depot with its turrets peaks and ornate brick work.. By 1937 when this station was replaced by the current Penn station its exuberant Victorian architecture had rendered it an anachronism. However, at the time this post card was published it was relatively modern and quite up to its role as a transportation hub. Adding to the charm of this beautiful color card are the trolleys, horse drawn wagons and pedestrians with parasols. There is also a billboard on the building to the left for Mennen talc. Founded in Newark, Mennen manufactured it’s products in a factory on Central Avenue that is now the home of St. Phillips Academy. It is interesting to note that all the low rise buildings marching down Market Street toward the depot gradually disappeared with the remaining ones demolished to make way for the Gateway complex.