Military Park is a six acre city park in Downtown Newark. The park is nearly triangular located between Park Place, Rector Street and Broad Street. Laid out shortly after the founding of the city in 1666 it served as a training ground for soldiers until 1869 when it became the town commons.
The post card in this post is a beautiful snapshot of the park circa 1900. The scene is busy with trolleys, pedestrians and not an automobile in sight. The Park Place and Rector Street frontage are still lined with many of the stately homes that characterized that vicinity for much of the 19th century. Most would disappear by the 1920’s in a commercial development frenzy. The card was printed in Germany, as were most cards prior to WWI and is vivid in its detail.